STEPHANIE UNGARO
Serving with YWAM Australia

Monday, October 18, 2010

Infinite Value

Hello Blog Readers!

Hope you are well. I’ve had another challenging, yet amazing, week in Perth as I continue on with the School of Evangelism. We had the privilege of having Peter Brownhill, the YWAM Perth base director, speak to us on the Nature and Character of God. Though I had this topic on my DTS, this teaching reinforced my knowledge and brought about new revelations on who God is, how others view God, the importance of knowing God intimately, and Biblical understanding of His characteristics. I also found that as I went deeper into learning the aspects of God’s character, it caused me to examine my own character and ask for grace on areas that I fall short.

Click here to see the main lecture points that stood out to me.

Something I was most challenged by this week was the understanding of Paul’s value system in Philippians 3:7-11- Nothing could even compare to the value of knowing Christ. This verse hit me hard and I’ve been thinking about it all week. How deeply I desire this revelation of God’s infinite value! In asking God for more understanding of this verse, He has been opening up my eyes to the ways I can value Him more. I want to show how much I value Him through the everyday decisions that I make, like how I spend my free time or giving full attention in my quiet times, fully engaging in knowing Him more, prioritizing time with God over all other things. I am realizing that these small decisions speak the loudest to God and are what He cares about most. He looks at the heart.

Lord, I ask that you would increase my understanding of how valuable you are in my life- so much so that nothing else matters but knowing you and spending time with you, that I may give you more of the love, praise, and worship you deserve. You are so worthy.

It’s amazing to me the ways God is calling me to go deeper. It shows that He really does want more intimacy with me. It’s not to make me feel guilty about choices that I make, it’s to make me more aware of the ways I can become closer to God, simple things that make a significant difference in my relationship with Him. He is pursuing me, calling me. I will listen, obey, and respond to the call.

Evangelism this week…

God did amazing things in our time in evangelism this week!

One cool story:

On Monday, we did outreach in the city with the Art Evangelism students. The exhibited their art and we did public worship. I spoke with a young guy from Thailand, a student, 19 years old, who was so open to hear about Jesus and asked me lots of questions. Growing up around Asian religions, he had never heard the gospel in its fullness, so that was exciting to be able to share with him. He said he went to church for the first time 2 weeks ago because his dad was hospitalized due to an illness. He prayed to God that if his dad recovered, that he would believe. I saw he was wearing a cross necklace and he said he bought it as a symbol of that prayer, kind of a promise to God. I asked, well what happened?? And he said that his dad is at home, doing well! Praise God!! We talked about how it was no coincidence that we met and that God was confirming to him once again of his reality, by lovingly pursuing him. I encouraged him to invite Jesus to be a part of his life, that it would change his life forever. I have full confidence in this young man’s salvation. It was exciting to be a part of his journey.

The lecture material was very helpful to use in evangelism. Particularly useful are the “three views of God” that Peter shared, which help to identify with people who have come from painful backgrounds, which can alter their view of God. I also found the explanation of the trinity very helpful to paint a clear picture of God’s oneness- I used this explanation to a Muslim man this week.

We do evangelism three times per week, twice in the city, and once a week at various locations in Perth, such as different beaches, parks, neighborhoods, etc.

Everything in between...

I am very much enjoying my time here in Perth. It is beautiful. It is springtime here, and has been somewhat cold, but it is starting to warm up as it gets closer to the summer. An interesting fact about Perth- the heat brings TONS of flies… yuck! They are everywhere.

Well, that is all for this week. About to do my work duty- dinner dishes (for 300 people). It is hard work!

Thanks for reading!

Love and Blessings,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment