STEPHANIE UNGARO
Serving with YWAM Australia

Monday, November 1, 2010

Plow, Plant, Water, Reap!

Hello Readers :)

All I can say about this week is... WOW! The topic this week was called Personal Evangelism. I learned so much! Our speaker was actually brought to us via live video through a video conference call system called Genesis (similar to Skype). His name is Danny Lehmann, director of YWAM Hawaii. He has an incredible anointing in the area of evangelism and imparted his wisdom and passion to us this week.

Click here to see my lecture notes on Personal Evangelism.

Something I was most challenged by this week was my need for God to move me into a place of brokenness. God wants to break my heart for people. Realizing that brokenness is a painful position, I choose to love through pain, just as Jesus did, in order to reflect the love of God to others. I lay down my comfort, my whole self, with the knowledge that God moves through a place of brokenness to reach His people. I willingly lay my life down for the cause of Christ, for the beautiful people He created. I pray that God gives me the grace and strength to walk out this renewed mindset in true and faithful obedience.

One cool story from evangelism this week in the city:

I spoke with a young aboriginal girl, 17 years old, who stopped with her family to watch one of our dramas. I started up a conversation with her, which eventually led to asking questions about her faith. She had no real knowledge of Jesus and seemed hardened with indifference, but was very open to hear. I got to share with her the Gospel and told her the amazing impact that God has had on my life. As I was sharing, God was giving me words to tell her- words about her great value in the eyes of God and His love for her. At this, I could tell she was softening, taking in the truth of what I was saying. In the meantime, another YWAMer was speaking with her mother and two little brothers, who were very receptive to hearing his message. The mom asked for prayer and accepted a Bible. I pray that God continues to reveal himself to this family and that they surrender their lives to Jesus as they discover His love and truth.

This week, we had a book report due on a book called Going Public with the Gospel. The book caused me to think of ideas and methods to reach the lost in the context of a city or community. Click here to see my book report.

Every Friday evening, we have a base-wide church service. Peter Brownhill (director of YWAM Perth) gave the message this week, and it was a message that I will not forget. He spoke on the meaning of true servanthood, as seen in Luke 17: 7-10. I realized that I often look to the approval of people when I am working, craving acceptance and encouragement. However, true servanthood is found in obedience and humility, without expecting anything in return. Reaching this place of humility requires us to lay down our "rights" as humans to be recognized, valued, respected, with the knowledge that we are incredibly blessed to be serving the living God. Jesus laid down his rights as he became fully human, taking the very nature of a servant (Philippians 2:5-11). I had a time of laying down my rights and repented of my ungratefulness. My heart moved into a place of sincere, overwhelming gratitude to be in the amazing position I am in to serve in the Kingdom of God. I desire to walk in obedience to the Father without the approval of people, with the knowledge that I will one day be lifted up in honor by God himself in heaven, receiving His ultimate approval- What could be greater?

Definitely a lot of growth is happening in places I did not expect. God is expanding my character. It is challenging, but very good. I feel He is using this time to prepare my heart for the mission field. He is toughening my character to withstand the challenges that life in missions will bring, and breaking my heart to love people with everything I have. With this knowledge, I am deeply motivated to continue to press in to God and walk in obedience to His teaching. God is doing amazing things!

That is all for now. Thank you for reading all that I am learning and processing! And above all, thank you for praying for me. Not a day goes by where I am not thinking about all my friends and family back home. I love you all so much!

Bless you,

Stephanie


1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, thank you for your update. Its so amazing to see what God is doing in your heart. You challenge me in so many ways. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete